In discussions on the coming 3.0 release, I witnessed a need to have a couple of (IRL) workshops with core contributors in order to solve pressing design issues. We have to wrap up 2.8 UI work, review how it went, and fix some things that went bad.
My goal would be to work on a clear guideline doc for how Blender 3.0 is meant to work, as a lead for all ongoing projects to align with. That will also empower the module teams to schedule their work. It would be preferred if we keep the 3.0 versions work backwards compatible for two years (Py API included, with as exception the new GPU module).
I also think we should avoid to include big new ambitious goals to 3.0, aside of projects we planned to tackle already (node systems, animation/rigging, physics/particles/hair real-time editing).
With the pandemic coming to an end, I think that we should be able to travel and meet again late July or August. Workshops can happen then or in September.
This puts the 3.0 planning under a lot of pressure... I also think we have to allow the developers to schedule a summer holiday, to relieve Corona stress and to give everyone time to come back together again - after having been separated in lockdown so long.
For these reasons I propose to shift the 3.0 release planning with two months, to late October. The asset project would love the extra time, and CyclesX then can also be in the release.
I've discussed this with the admins and several of the core developers. I think there's a wide support for this decision, but please speak out here if there are pressing other viewpoints to revise the planning.